Jim Mathis

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Time to hang it up?

MSN’s music web site today carried an article titled “Ten performers who should stop singing.” The implication was that music is for young people and people like The Rolling Stones, Carly Simon, The Who, or Elton John should hang it up.

I hope I don’t have to tell you how I feel about this subject. I presume the article was written by somebody under 30. It is possible that when I was thirty I thought Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra should have retired, but hopefully I am smarter than that now.

The music industry is full of people who were put out to pasture at the peak of their abilities and experience. Some such as Johnny Cash or Al Green were able to find a new audience. Others just keep on doing their thing because they love what they do and will keep playing as long as someone will listen. These people are my heroes.

See my web site: www.ThePassionNeverFades.com

No comments: